There are only a couple things that’s worse than seeing your baby, your angel, the one you love battling for their life.
This was the unfortunate situation for couple Kirsti Clark, 28, and her husband Christopher Clark, 29. In April, the couple chose to out go with their 2 daughters, three-year-old Malena and three-week-old Harper. Sadly, they had no clue that their outing would prove to be one they would never ever forget.

Their nightmare started a little after they were on their way home. Once they arrived back at their home, they placed Harper down on her play mat and they immediately knew that something was not right. Harper’s lips had became blue, her jaw was forced shut and white foam started to grow from her mouth and nose.

With the nightmare of that day still plaguing her memories, Kirsti has a stark warning for every parent …
For Kirsti and Christopher, April 4 should have been an enjoyable day out. The pair left their home at 2:30 for an afternoon of shopping with their two young daughters.

Wrapped up by around 6:30, they got stuck in traffic during the ride home. The journey took 1 hour and 45 minutes, with Harper strapped into her car seat as usual. When they got in, the three-week-old spent another 15 minutes in her seat as Kirsti and Christopher put Malena to bed.

When the couple took Harper from her car seat, however, they spotted the terrifying symptoms and knew she had to be taken to a hospital immediately.

“When we got home it was way past Malena’s bedtime so brought Harper in in her car seat and she stayed in there for 15 minutes as we got Malena into bed,” Kirsti said, as per the Daily Record.

“My husband got Harper out and put her on his knee but she looked like she couldn’t get comfy so he laid her down on her mat and she was kicking about.

“I told him her lips looked blue and then he pointed out how red her cheeks were. He picked her up and I could tell straight away from his face that something was wrong.”

Despite Kirsti’s fears that she would lose her baby, medics at the hospital were able to resuscitate Harper. They warned the parents that leaving babies for more than an hour in a car seat can leave them at risk of suffering from oxygen deprivation.

Harper had suffered a seizure as a result of her oxygen levels plummeting. The sudden increase of oxygen, as a result of her being stretched out on the floor, caused her to fit.

Kirsti’s now desperate to warn all parents over what she believes to be a relatively hidden danger: “When the consultant told us it was the car seat I couldn’t believe it. I thought ‘there’s no way’. I couldn’t understand why nobody had ever told us.
The warning

“We had obviously heard about not keeping babies in car seats overnight because it causes curvature of the spine but not about anything like this.

“When my wee girl was a baby we did four-hour drives down to visit family in Cornwall and we had never had any problems at all.
“The doctors did tell us in hospital that it is usually a concern with premature babies but Harper is a big girl. She was 8lb 5oz when she was born and she’s 8lb 9oz now.

“After we got my head around that being the reason, Christopher and I felt so angry at ourselves – we felt like we did this to our baby. It was horrendous.

“But we’ve spoken to so many people and they had never heard about it either and then some people have conflicting opinions on the time.
“That’s why we knew we had to share what happened to Harper because parents need to know. Just two hours in a car seat and we could have lost her, it’s terrifying.

“I would tell every parent to just really carefully watch their babies and if they don’t absolutely need to be in the car seat take them out because it is not worth what we had to go through.

“Watch your baby and know your baby. If something doesn’t seem quite right take them straight to hospital.”