Many people use scented candles to create a cozy atmosphere at home. But not everyone knows they can be dangerous and carcinogenic, as new research shows.

This is something Meghan Budden has experienced closely when she discovered something very disturbing about her baby son.

Meghan breast-fed her son when she discovered mysterious black spots inside his nostrils.

But what she didn’t know at the time is that those black spots are behind 20,000 death cases each year in the United States.

It was just another ordinary day for Meghan Budden, who lives in New Jersey with her husband, Jeff.

But when she breast fed her son, Jimmy, she noticed black spots on a towel. And when she took a closer look, Meghan saw the same black dots inside her son’s nose.

Meghan had no idea what caused those spots, and even after cleaning Jimmy’s nose, there was still black soot inside of it.

Very quickly, Meghan thought about it and realized what was the cause. It were the scented candles.

There, on the candle box, was a small warning: “Do not light for more than 3 hours straight”.

Meghan’s scented candles began to produce soot, which spread through the room leaving Jimmy with no choice but to breathe it.

Meghan hopes her story will raise awareness about the risks of scented candles – and if you look at the statistics, we think you’ll agree that more people should know about it.

According to medical consultant company Cashins & Associates, small particle breathing can cause cardiovascular disease, asthma, bronchitis, and other respiratory diseases. In addition, they state that 20,000 people die prematurely every year in the United States due to exposure to soot particles.

Moreover, soot causes respiratory problems and is behind about 300,000 asthma attacks and also responsible for the loss of 2 million work days every year.

The soot created by scented candles is so small that it cannot be seen in the air.

Experts recommend chopping the candle thread regularly and not allowing it to burn for more than 3 consecutive hours to prevent the soot from spreading around the house.

 If you see the candle starts to spread soot, turn it off immediately.

Fortunately, everything ended well for Meghan and her son. She has not noticed anything out of the ordinary since the incident, and today Jimmy is a healthy one and a half year old toddler.

Watch the news report on the case in the video below:

Meghan says that from now on, she will look twice at the candle warning labels – and we should do so too.

We hope this story has helped to raise awareness about the dangers of lighting scented candles indoors.